Crossmaglen v Garrycastle - All Ireland Club Final

Discussion in 'Armagh Club Football' started by green flag, Feb 13, 2012.

1. green flag

green flag Active Member

I would like to wish Crossmaglen Rangers every success on Saturday, this team are a credit to their area ,to Armagh county, and to Ulster. Although saturday is not the most conveinent day to travel, as many Armagh supporters as possible should endevour to be at the game.
  2. TacadoirArdMhacha

TacadoirArdMhacha Active Member

There's a club section elsewhere on the board.
  3. bainisteoir

bainisteoir Administrator Staff Member

moved to club section.

Best of luck to Crossmaglen on Saturday!
  4. bcb1

bcb1 Active Member

Would it kill ye to wish us good luck?
  5. Harper1

Harper1 Active Member

Saw this thread and thought it was a fundraising request for Rangers of the Glaswegian persuasion!

More than happy to wish our neighbours in Cross the very best of luck on Saturday. I hope you not only defeat Dr Crokes but demoralise them entirely until they resort to the dirtiest of actions, so that the southern pundits can have another stab at explaining why everything is the 'nordies' fault.

If it had been on Sunday I'd have made the trip, just to witness it first hand.
  6. TacadoirArdMhacha

TacadoirArdMhacha Active Member

I doobt I'd do myself a fatal injury but any good wishes would be a little insincere given that I am entirely indifferent about the prospects of Crossmaglen Rangers as a club but would certainly prefer if Armagh returned to National League action with a full compliment of players available.
  7. x-armagh-x

x-armagh-x Member

Good luck to the Crossmaglen Rangers team and management for this weekends All Ireland Semi Final with Dr Crokes!! I hope that it would be as exciting as last year's sf against Kilmacud Crokes with the same result!!
  8. armaghniac

armaghniac Member

9. Joe McManus

Joe McManus Member

Ah crap, i too thought this was a piss take of the glaswegian persuasion. But hey, I'm not sectarian, I jus hate the mancs....oh, wrong thread.

Anyway, the best to Cross, have followed them for many years and between them and armagh we have been spoiled so let's have another great year in club and country.
    Mon Grange too!
  10. ragingbull

ragingbull Well-Known Member

up the gers !
  11. PatMustard

PatMustard Well-Known Member

Good luck Cross. Let's make it a double for Ulster this year on St Patrick's Day.
  12. sliothar

sliothar Banned

C'mon Cross you have maintained your dignity despite goading of the worst kind..go fwd and prove you are also the best on the field as well as off it.
  13. unthinkable

unthinkable Well-Known Member

sliothar how many clubs have u got, some grovelling here.
  14. sliothar

sliothar Banned

Don't know exactly what you mean I'm lending my support to our County Champions..grow up and support the Cross team and stop twisting:angry:
  15. unthinkable

unthinkable Well-Known Member

there is only one twister on the forum he is called sliothar. he went away for a while and the forum was more balanced. im lookin forward to more rubbish and slanted views again.
  16. Centre Half

Centre Half Forum Steward Staff Member

[FONT=Modern No. 20]Kernan hails Crokes class[/FONT][FONT=Modern No. 20]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]By Brendan O’ Brien<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]<o:p> </o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]The meeting of the <st1:State w:st="on">Munster</st1:State> and <st1:country-region w:st="on">Ulster</st1:country-region> senior football champions in Portlaoise brings together the two favourites for the outright title regardless of what happens in the other tie in Longford’s <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Pearse</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>.<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]But Joe Kernan, who managed Crossmaglen to their first three All-Irelands, doesn’t see it that way. He pointed out there will be no cuphanded out this weekend and the players, mentors and supporters from Garrycastle and St Brigid’s would no doubt agree with that assessment.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]
    It is five years since the <st1:place w:st="on">South Armagh</st1:place> side claimed their fourth national title at the Kerry club’s expense. That was also in Portlaoise and came on the back of a replay win after the sides had drawn 1-9 apiece in the first encounter in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Croke</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>.

That second game was slightly soured by 10 yellow cards, two red and referee Eugene Murtagh’s failure to send John McEntee to the line despite brandishing two of the former at the county player.

That said, Crossmaglen were full value for their win but they required a late equaliser from Oisín McConville to give them that second chance in the first place and Kernan expects another close encounter this weekend.

"We’ll win by a point," he said with a smile. "I’ll be very happy. Two good teams. We watched Crokes against UCC [in the <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Munster</st1:place></st1:State> finall. In the first half they were poor. The second half they were devastating.

"They played the ball quick, they moved it, all the forwards played really well on the day and there’s more than one threat in their forward line."

The same can be said for Crossmaglen but there is, nonetheless, an intriguing head-to-head to watch out for with Colm Cooper featuring at one end and Jamie Clarke — a man compared to him in style, size and potential — at the other.

Kernan made the comparison between the Kerry gun-slinger and his clubmate years ago but has echoed the words of some of Clarke’s teammates this week by suggesting he has yet to reach the summit of his abilities.

"He’s gaining experience all the time. He played for <st1:place w:st="on">Armagh</st1:place> in the championship last year and he had two days that weren’t great days and what he would have learned from that will stand him in good stead for years to come.

"Nothing’s ever going to work out perfectly with the way you planned it all the time but he has natural ability and if he grows in strength, mentally and physically, he’ll become a better player for that. He has the makings of the next Gooch."

A repeat of last Saturday’s result in <st1:place w:st="on">Tralee</st1:place> and Kernan won’t much care who supplies the scores.

Questions have been asked about Kerry’s performance in <st1:placeName w:st="on">Austin</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Stack</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType> last weekend after their defeat to <st1:place w:st="on">Armagh</st1:place> but Kernan believes his countymen deserve more praise than the Kingdom do criticism.

"People say Kerry had a bad day. Well I played for Armagh for a long time and I only remember winning once down there and we drew another day so don’t take away from the effort the boys put into it. Winning one and drawing one that no one would have been putting in their coupon for the two weekends and it’s great.

"Kerry were disappointed but that’s life."<o:p></o:p>
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]This appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, February 17, 2012<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20][/FONT]
  17. Centre Half

Centre Half Forum Steward Staff Member

[FONT=Modern No. 20]TG4[/FONT][FONT=Modern No. 20]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]Saturday 18 February[/FONT][FONT=Modern No. 20]<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]1.30 – GAA Beo<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]Live & deferred coverage from the AIB All-Ireland Senior Club Football Semi-Finals. <o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]Dr Crokes (Kerry) v Crossmaglen Rangers (<st1:place w:st="on">Armagh</st1:place>) – O’Moore Park, Portlaoise – LIVE COVERAGE<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
    [FONT=Modern No. 20]St Brigid’s (Roscommon) v Garrycastle (Westmeath) – <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Pearse</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Park</st1:placeType></st1:place>, Longford – DEFERRED COVERAGE<o:p></o:p>[/FONT]
  18. ThrowBall

ThrowBall Well-Known Member

Best of luck to Cross tomorrow. Hope they do it. Not fussed on ref but that will not worry Cross. Also best of luck to St. Pats in the under 21s match.
  19. ragingbull

ragingbull Well-Known Member

The Blue Oyster club is one of his favourite clubs on a saturday night !
  20. bainisteoir

bainisteoir Administrator Staff Member